Thursday 23 June 2011

Tried something new.....

..... loved it.  Now I'm kicking myself I didn't try it sooner!

What's got me so excited..... applique!  Specifically applique using the freezer paper and spray starch method.   I know...I know it's been around for ages but I'm slow to catch on! 

Yesterday I was reading the general instructions for Tiny Town (better late than never eh!) where the freezer paper/starch method was mentioned.    I must have been in a curious mood coz I decided to give it a go.... am I glad I did!

Tried it out on this ....


OK... the house was done with my usual English needleturn and the flower with the 'new' method.  Not much of a difference to look at but I have to say the paper/starch method felt easier

Having a crisp edge made sewing a doddle.  Stopped me wandering off line and having to unpick too. 
Oh.... and I broke open my prized bottle of Roxanne's Glue Baste and tried it too.... fantastic!

Today....I feel like burning my bra I'm so liberated!!

I didn't try the starch method before because it all sounded a bit messy.... and we all know what I think about mess!    Well...  I have to admit it wasn't messy at all and more to the point preparing the pieces was really relaxing and fun.

While I'm on the subject of applique.....  have any of you got a sure fire way to get a sharp point on leaves?    The closer I get to the tip.... the more I hyperventilate in anticipation of having to deal with the dreaded point.   I wonder if anyone has ever passed out while sewing a leaf!   

Look what I found.....


My stash of Klosjes....  all 4 of them !!   There are more in the tin... cut out and ready to hand sew.   You know I look at that pretty Tilda tin (pressie from Tilly) every day so tell me..... how did I forget what I put in it.   Now that I've found them again.... hummmm... they are pretty and relaxing to sew!

Hexie cutting is on the back burner again now.   I did get a bunch ready to sew before I quit though.


This just arrived.....


It's not a BIG project.... honest!  It's gorgeous though and totally irresistible.... and it's mine.... all mine! 

Better go and starch something.... before I loose my grip...

Till next time...

Josie X

9 comments:

Show and Tell said...

Hi Josie, sounds like you are having a productive day.....Have fun!

CarlaSue said...

Love the Tiny Town! Erin over at One Piece at a Time did a tute on pointy leaves. Surprisingly simple!
http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-piece-at-a-time/2010/07/pointy-points.html

Wendy said...

That corn starch methods sounds interesting ... I will have to investigate!! I know what you mean about pointy leaves, also animal ears and tails!! Your work looks gorgeous though.

Grethe said...

So lovely hexies,so lovely TT,so lovely klosjes,so lovely it all!!!
May try the starch idea:-)

Tilly said...

I lost my grip a long time ago! Can I be starched when I come to visit? Have you checked all your other tins and boxes to see what else you have forgotten about? Or maybe it wasn't a good idea to suggest that...... It's FNSI again and the wine is chilled and calling to me. Cheers my friend! Hugs XXX

Houseelf said...

Hia I'm making Tiny Town with Anne Marie too. I'm doing it with heat and bond and blanket stitch as I'm infamous at losing bits with the needleturned method. Oh I am so glad I'm not the only one who puts things in tins and then has a surprise. :-) It's evn nicer when I've left myself a little treat too. LOL

rosie said...

Miss Josie, you have convinced me I have to try the starch method! I always find it easier to do the points on leaves if I have a very scant turn under.. does that make sense?? better read what the experts say, I could be telling you anything!!!

Ric Rac and Polka Dots said...

Hi,
I just found your blog, and I love it! Why, just last week at the grocery store I bought freezer paper with the intent of trying this applique method. Now after reading your post I think I will with my next project! Please come visit me at my new blog, Ric Rac and Polka Dots. I'm brand new, but have so many things planned to share with everyone, it will be really fun!! I hope to see you and some of your friends there! Thanks for the very informative and helpful information. So nice to meet fellow sewers from "sew far away".
Julie

Sharyn said...

Hi Josie.
love all your projects you have going.
was just wondering where you got tiny town from ive searched but not haveing much luck. thanks Sharyn