Thursday 30 June 2011

Missing in action!

All I can say about the last week is..... it rained!   Actually one day we had light snow... hail then thunder and lightning all in the space of 15 minutes!  Oh... and a small tornado hit about 6 miles away at the same time.  Just your average summer in Scotland then!

I may have been missing but I have been active..... 


I floated my boat!    Couldn't believe my luck when I popped into our local craft store and found that lovely blue fabric I used for the sea.   I wasn't looking for anything but there it was.... put there by the quilting fairies just for me.  Perfect!

I'd been feeling really down in the dumps too.  Needed to pull myself up by my boot straps but just couldn't.  Then I found the blue fabric and not only that I found the exact red fabric I needed for my Tiny Town too.  I promise you it wasn't there when I was looking for it.   It was one of those magic moments.... like when you ask the parking fairy to make a space for you when you are running late.... and there it is right outside the door!

The applique isn't quite finished yet.  Still got the portholes to shape up and stitch and a bit of stitchery to do.

I did a bit more of this too......


Just three more small houses for each of the blocks on the right.... a bit of stitching and Block 1 of Tiny Town will be in the bag.    Did I say just......!

Finally reached the end of this.....


It may have taken ages but I'm dying to start the next long piece!  Does that make me a masochist?

Tilly is arriving late tonight for a little 'retreat'.  She'll be staying for a week or so and I've already put her in charge of cracking the whip around here.  She has orders to keep me on track.   Firstly with this....


This will become blocks 2 & 3 of Vignette in the next few days.... it will.... I'm determined!   There's some applique and stitcheries still to do but I'll stay up late if I have to.... anything to get it done.

Meet my new best friend..... 


I wish I'd bought one of these blades ages ago.... it's great!   Applique on pieced blocks is going to be much neater now.... less frayed edges. 

I've plans to get to grips with My Town BOM this next week too.   I've decided to applique using my new favourite starch/freezer paper method... it's so much faster for me.  Besides I like it.   I'm hoping to catch up with the rest of the group.  OK... that's not going to happen overnight but to get off to a good start this week it would help. 

I'm going to go stash diving for My Town too.   I do love the original fabrics I bought but I have one or two other projects hidden away that those fabrics will work for.   Right now I feel the need to fly by the seat of my pants so it's STASH.... here I come! 

OK.... I'd better get going.    Now that I'm back in the land of the living I have a lot of blog reading to catch up on...... I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone has been up too.

Hope you've been busy stitching....

Till next time...

Josie X

11 comments:

Wendy said...

Nice to have you back! Your boat block is great, the sea fabric is perfect!! And I love your tiny town block and Vignette stitching, you have made LOTS of progress ... I can't wait to see your Vignette blocks finished.

Show and Tell said...

Hi Josie, I love your boat block, you have been busy....Lots of nice projects going on at the moment....Looking forward to watching your progress.....

rosie said...

Hi Miss Josie, I was sorry to hear that you were feeling a bit down.. must be the weather.. I love what you have got done with all your stitching.. and I'm glad you floated your boat!! The weather in Victoria is supposed to turn cold this week, so think of us!! more stitching time I hope.. take care xx

Raewyn said...

Great to see your progress!! You are right, that sea fabric is just right, and how cool to have those little quilting fairies looking out for you :-)
I'm impressed with your Vignette stitching - I had ideas about doing this one but I'm thinking it's not going to happen - however I'm getting closer to making a start on "My Town" - I think -grin. Hope your 'retreat' goes well and is most productive!!

Yvette said...

I love all of your projects. Maybe it is because I am doing them too! LOL! You are much, much further ahead than I am so I will be on your tail the whole time.

Chookyblue...... said...

have fun and I hope that whip gets cracked lots and we see lots of progress......

Lynda said...

Those tiny little houses are so cute and that long row of hand stitched flowers is amazing...especially to someone like me who can't seem to master either project! I have found I'm quite content with iron on applique. My last try at hand stitching was a complete disaster!

Kitty said...

great to have you back, say hello to tilly for me. Wish i could join you, never mind....soon.
all your projects look great, can't wait to see the results of the retreat. Enjoy!!!

kathy said...

Summer in Scotland? Could have been winter in Tasmania too! Very much love your yacht piece and the blue fabric is perfect. Looks like this design is from a magazine - are you able to let me know what it is? We are a very boaty family and I am always on the look out for lovely boaty projects:)

Cheers from Tasmania

Nicky said...

Now I know why the deep South of NZ was so well settled by the Scots, our terrible summers must have made them all homesick so they stayed!
Your blocks are all looking great ......... and you've made so much progress on Vignette ....... unlike others who shall remain nameless....

Hope the weather improves and there are no injuries from all that stash diving.... have fun!

Karen said...

The blue fabric is just perfect for the water. Good find.