Sunday 4 September 2011

Summer is over!

It's official.

National news announced it so it must be true.  Personally I don't know how something that never actually arrived can be gone but hey.... what do I know!

What I do know is that change is in the air.   Change outside and change inside.   I spent yesterday cleaning and sorting my craft room and today.... today I actually took rotary cutter to fabric!    Almost had to read up on how to do it... it's been so long.

Here's the fabric in question....


a Hushabye jelly roll that I've had earmarked  for a project for way too long.  Some white yardage there too.

First I sliced and diced.   Then I sorted it into little units.  It was so good to be playing with fabric again I forgot to procrastinate.  Well almost!


Chris and Sally are coming over for a sewing day tomorrow so I couldn't just leave it all laying on the table.  So....


I stacked it high.    Can't tell you how good it feels to have everything ready for a productive sewing day tomorrow.

Can you guess what it's going to be?    Here's a little clue.....


I know..... it's yet another project and I've more than enough under way without starting another.  But I assure you.... I have a plan!

I've gotten so far behind with all of my projects I've lost the plot.   Don't know how to even begin to catch up.   So.... I've started something fresh and new and more to the point quick to piece.   Nothing like a bit of instant gratification to get a gal firing on all cylinders.   That's my theory anyway. 

Watch this space.......

Actually... back to the end of summer thing..... I think there might be something to it.   This little critter made a surprise visit last week.....


.... sampled a few sunflower hearts while scoping out the peanuts.   For non UK residents.... it's a native Red Squirrel and I was thrilled to bits to see it.  Even more thrilled that I managed to grab my camera and get a picture.   Please ignore the bird poop on the window ledge.  Seems out feathered friends don't know it's not hygienic to do it near your dinner!! 

Anyhow..... a squirrel on the trail of nuts to store might just be heralding the arrival of Autumn after all.   

I've done my duty and reported the squirrel sighting to Red Squirrel Watch.  Had to provide date... time... ordinance survey map co-ordinates... the whole nine yards.    They are an endangered species you see.  Once they were the only squirrels in the UK until someone (lets blame the Victorians) brought the bigger Grey Squirrels over from the USA.    They've been eating the Reds out of house and home ever since. 

For some strange reason the Greys haven't populated this little corner of Scotland.   Maybe they don't like rain!! 

I'm rambling now..... it must be time for bed!

Lovely day in store tomorrow.........

Till next time...

Josie X

9 comments:

Linda Coleman said...

Josie
love the colours in your new fabric. Can't wait to see what this is going to be.
LindaC

rosie said...

Hi Miss Josie, I love that Hushabye fabric, so pretty.. I'm like you, so far behind it's not funny...
We have just started Spring, my favorite season... I hate Summer, it's soooo hot. May have to move to Scotland!!
Take care..

Wendy said...

Hi Josie, it's Tuesday now so I hope you had a wonderful sewing day yesterday, your fabrics look very pretty! We report sightings of Tui's in our garden (a native bird with a beautiful song) but your red squirrel is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see what kind of quilt you're making!! I hope it's a finish and not another one to add to the pile! ;) I only say this... cause I know what I'm like!! Cute squirrel!

Grethe said...

Love the squirrel! And I am sure your quilt will be very nice; so pleasant colours in the Hushabye range; Happy Sewing :-))

LuAnn said...

Pretty fabrics. I love when I have everything cut and stacked and ready to chain through the machine. Can't wait to see what you are planning,.

Stitches said...

Your fabric is so pretty and so is your little squirrel! We have red squirrels here in Iowa, USA, but they don't look that red..Sure hope they can re-populate! ;-)

Q said...

aaah I know that one don't I? it's on my list too, well if it is the one I am thinking of, Sweet Menagerie? I love it!

Anonymous said...

love your choice of fabrics and how cute is that squirrel