Tuesday 9 December 2014

Friday Night With Friends.....

OK... it's Monday Tuesday (couldn't get this posted last night)  but better late than never eh!

Can you believe I signed up for FNWF nice and early.  Number 7 on the list... how about that for keen.  Looked forward to the stitch-a-long all week.   Friday did not turn out to be a good day for me. Things went from bad in the morning to worse in the afternoon culminating with me having a 'funny turn' in the supermarket!    Perhaps I'll tell you more later..... if you promise not to run for the hills!

I probably would not have sewed  at all in the evening if it hadn't been for Tiggy  (self appointed sewing supervisor)  chivvying  me along.....

"come on Mum... how hard can it be"

Alright Tiggs....  perhaps prepping a Stonefields block would be nice.....

"Ok... got the pencil.. what's next?"

Circles.... lots of pretty circles!



Thank heavens for perfect circles and best press.    I appliqued large circles on two blocks earlier in the week and really enjoyed picking fabrics and preparing their smaller satellites.    


Made two other circle blocks earlier in the week too.   Would you believe it took me 2 hours to choose the melon seed fabric for that block on the left.   Embarrassing or what!  

Prepared this earlier too....


Actually I prepared two of these blocks but couldn't get a decent photo of the other one so you'll have to wait for that till the light is better in my little room......  April perhaps.  

Well... that's it for the sewing.    All was not lost and I did have an enjoyable evening after all.

Now... an overview of  'stuff'  I've been dealing with.   A flash flood.  This is the result of one and a half inches of rain falling in 45 minutes.


The road in here turned into a river.   At one stage water was deep enough and the current strong enough for me to have gone white water canoeing.    Fortunately I couldn't get the canoe off the garage roof .   If I had taken to the water I imagine I'd have been arriving in New York about now.  

  
When the water receded..... after 4 days.... this is what was left.   Tons of rock and gravel where the road should be.  I could have cried.... hang on.... I did! 


Standing there with my trusty shovel... I felt defeated.   For all of 5 minutes..... then I saw the plus side.   I'd been about to order a load of gravel to mend pot holes in the drive now Mother Nature had kindly gifted me more than I needed.. for free.    If only she hadn't been quite so generous....

The road is still a work in progress.    I finally had to admit that I couldn't move all of this myself.   Finishing the job is now down to Lawn Cutting Man who... having no lawns to cut at this time of year...  is happy to dig instead.  Phew!   

After the flood came.... pests.    Woolly pests at the front


 and at the rear.....



We were surrounded and forced into negotiation with the gang master mistress.....


who I have to say was quite confrontational.   I was getting nowhere with her.... till Maisie arrived to sort things out.....



Hasta la vista... woolly backs! 

What a trooper.....


she deserved a kitten nap after that.

Now.....about that 'funny turn' in the supermarket.    All down to stress and anxiety (mine) I'm afraid.  It shouldn't have happened.... the Doc gave me pills.   Anti Mac and Anti Mum pills!    Now don't get the wrong idea... I love both of them to bits but they are driving me nuts... literally.    

Mac's comfort zone is getting ever smaller.... he is not even venturing to the garden gate these days.   He has a dental appointment on Thursday.... who knows if he'll actually leave the house... I've cancelled two appointments on the day already.     Right now he's convinced he has radiation sickness.  Well... I did offer to line his hat with tin foil so he can't blame me!   This week I'm the love of his life.... last week Frankenstein's Monster.   Life really is a box of chocolates.....:o)    Spare a thought for any friends or relatives of yours who are caring for someone with psychological issues.... it ain't easy.  

Add to that the fact that Mum's short term memory is now around 30 seconds and you have the full picture.    It's not so much Groundhog Day here as Groundhog minute!    After acknowledging that mum needed a box of coffee for the millionth (felt like it) time in the supermarket on Friday.... my chest hurt.  So much so I thought I was having a heart attack.  Very scary.    I'm a bit of a wreck but I'm still standing....hey ho!

All I want for Christmas is a thicker skin....... I got the teeth last year! :o))

Hope you are all having a great stress free week.   Who am I kidding... Christmas is just around the corner!    Do your best.....

I'm off to crack open a bottle of wine.... first in a long time.   Well.... I'm 61 tomorrow.  What better reason to drink....bottoms up!

Hugs
See ya soon.. life permitting.....
Josie xxx

27 comments:

LuAnn said...

Hope things get better for you. I hope you are having some time to keep stitching. I think that really is cheaper than therapy. I love seeing your little kitties. Take care and keep smiling.

Helen said...

Wow that was a long downpour, love what you are doing with Stonefields.

Kaisievic said...

Lovely stitching and kitties, Josie, so sorry to hear that you have been unwell. It is very hard being a carer for the sick and elderly. Do try to look after yourself.

Heartsdesire said...

Sixty one is not bad. Wait until you're 73, then the wine bottle will be open ALL the time. Your unwelcome guests looked quite lovely, but I especially love your beautiful cat. Hope your stress level goes down a bit this week.

Fiona said...

how do you make everyone laugh out of your tough times??? you really are a trooper ... well done you and take care... and have a happy birthday..
Hugz

Jeanette said...

Oh Josie i do hope things improve for you. Love you Stonefields. Hope your birthday is a wonderful day. Take care. Hugs,xx

Leanne said...

Hi Josie
Oh you poor girl, I am so sorry life is giving you such a hard time lately. I hope things get better very soon.

Thinking of you. Happy Birthday for tomorrow. xx

gracie said...

I had a long five hour work day and my knee is hurting so your post today was just what I needed.

Sisbabestitches said...

Well done Sewing Supervisor for chivvying you into gear and sewing some, I bet you were all the better for it. Mother Nature is thankfully dropping some wet stuff around the place, lovely of her to give you some gravel too :) Keep your chin up and keep looking at the positives, even if you have to do some fudging and make some up! -grin- Happiest of birthdays to you today (well it is the 10th in my part of the world) Big hugs

Carol Sanin said...

Happy birthday 🎂🎁 Josie.
I hope things get better for you.

Shirley said...

Wishing you many happy returns Josie and well done to Maisie for getting you to do some sewing. The best kind of therapy I know of. Stay strong.

Shirley said...

Meant to add that the Stonefields blocks look great and was it Maisie or Tiggy to the rescue?

Susan said...

You poor thing. Wish I could come over and share a glass with you. I was going to say the supermarket is enough to give anyone a turn.....but then so are wayward mothers and husbands. Hope you're ok, and that those beautiful Stonefields blocks brought you some peace. X

Maria said...

Hope things get better for you. Nice to have done some stitching...

Have a happy birthday.

margaret said...

first of all happy birthday and yes you certainly deserve a glass or three of wine. Trust you are feeling better, you certainly have a lot on your plate but you seem to be coping well, I am quite a new follower so need to go back and see what is going on in your life to understand it all.Good to see you were able to do some stitching after all, I find hand stitching so relaxing to do. Well the flood certainly had a good outcome when the water finally disappeared and now pot holes have gone. I have been trying to picture the sheep being chased off by a cat I had a little chuckle

Lynette said...

Happy Birthday, Josie! I chuckled, too, about the cat and the sheep :) Hang in there with the psychological issues - I know it's really rough sometimes.

Raewyn said...

Sending you hugs my friend and hoping you find some moments of peace and time out for yourself. AND sending you birthday wishes too...enjoy that wine :-) Your stitching as always is extra sweet. Our little dog has big bark sessions with our sheep and they just stand there glaring at him!

Rebecca in AK said...

Hi Josie and a Happy though belated Birthday! You certainly put a cheerful spin to your troubles and brought a smile to many others. I wish you had someone to help you with caring for your husband and Mom. It seem a heavy burden to carry alone. I am glad your kitty encouraged you to pick up your sewing. Beautiful blocks!

kiwikid said...

You always make me laugh Josie with your posts, despite what is going on in your life....Happy Birthday!!!! Belated but still well meant...I hope you had a stress free day. Boy that rain was heavy wasn't it? Hope the lawn man moved it all to where you wanted it to be. We had heavy rain all night last Saturday morning around 4am - 7am was the worst, with thunder and lightning we had a bit of a lake in the back yard and water out the front but it had all gone now...the grass is even going green again!! Look after yourself....try to get you time when ever you can...to do a little sewing.
xx

Brenda said...

Happy Birthday Josie! I just celebrated my 57th last week, find it hard to believe that 60 is getting that much closer. Hubs just turned 50 this year, I finally feel like he is catching up. lol...My sister who lives a state away, with the rest of my family, could sympathize with you. She is dealing with our elderly mother who has had mental issues her whole life. What we have grown to think over the years that the meds need changed yet again seems to be at an end. The docs just informed my sister that this might just what we should expect for the rest of her life. My mothers that is. So I give you all the credit you deserve taking care of others is not easy.

Lynda said...

Happy birthday Josie. You'll get through this with your beautiful personality shining.

Ondrea said...

Oh my! You poor love. Life has certainly thriwn you some crap. Many gentle angel hugs. I hope you had a good birthday and finished that wine lol. I must say that this is a wonderful post with weather, animals and applique. You applique is looking great. Keep smiling, it releases the happy hormones. Was it an anxiety attack you had? Not surprised you took a turn. Well, keep on smelling the roses, remember to laugh and do the happy dance.

audrey said...

Oh my! Hope things are starting to get better. I would have cried buckets. The applique will still be there tomorrow.:)

marina said...

belated birthday wishes Josie!!
sounds like you are having a rough trot with mum and Mac. At least they could take it in turns.
lovely progress on your stonefields, I notice there isn't any basket action happening? I am a bit the same.
Hope santa brings you a thicker skin but not a sloppy, wrinkly one, one that will be slimming. Maybe he can bring me one too!
If your next post is from a tropical island setting I will know you have run away from them both.
x

Lynn said...

You are quite the writer Josie! I'm afraid I laughed while reading your post. Take care and I hope things get better on your side of the world. ~~Lynn

Maria said...

Love your sewing supervisor! Lol. My goodness the dramas you've had to contend with. Hope you've had a great birthday xx

Robin said...

More power to you. You are carrying quite an emotional load and still remain positive. I admire your ability to see the best in things (like the abundance of gravel). Your quilt blocks are quite lovely.