Monday 22 December 2014

Friday Night Sew In......

and not just your regular sew in..... last one of 2014.    Is it just me or are years not so long as they used to be?

Anyway.... I thought I'd roll back time and work on some good old fashioned needle turn applique....



I say old fashioned because I'm fond of trying every new technique out there.   But this time there's no freezer paper... no stabiliser.. no fancy tools (quick or otherwise)  and not a glue stick in sight.
Just me and my needle and thread.   Going back to basics....



I loved it....... and  it worked a treat on these stars.   Guess what......another Stonefields block!  Do you think I'm a bit obsessed or just blinkered right now.


Think I'll be returning to the 'old' way from here on in.   Better knit myself a shawl and grow a beard while I'm at it.

I did manage to drag myself away from my new/old love long enough to finish off these blocks....




Don't think I'll be needle turning circles any time soon though.... I still love my Perfect Circles and won't be parting with them...ever!



Don't they look like planets in orbit.... luv em.    Made a couple of other circle blocks over the weekend too...



The block is called 'Square Peg In A Round Hole'...... that about sums up my life!  :o)

Well... you're up to date with my sewing progress.   Now... did I mention I while back that I was going to paint my bed.......



I did and I absolutely love it.    It was originally pine... not quite as orange as the stool I painted a while back but getting there.     It's great to actually sleep in the bed again.   I'd dismantled it and took it down into the conservatory to paint.... boy it was cold in there.   I got through sleeping on a mattress on the floor for a couple of weeks by pretending I was in Japan on holiday.   Maisie & co  thought it was great fun.   I had to sleep with one eye open on watch for uninvited guests of the rodent variety.

When the bed went back into the room.... I changed it's position.   For the first time in almost seventeen years I rearranged my bedroom furniture.  Radical or what!!     Didn't think I'd like sleeping in a different position but I'm loving that too.  

Have to show you my bargain.    I picked up this picture in the local antique junk store.   I bought it for the huge sum of £10 purely for the frame.   I intended to paint it and use it for something else. When I cleaned all the grime off the glass I decided I quite liked the picture so I painted the frame and popped it back in.  .



 
Well guess what..... it's hanging in my bedroom now and I love it too! :o))   Not bad for a tenner!  I've another 'bargin' in the pipeline.   Busy distressing it right now .... fingers crossed it won't be me that's distressed when I'm done.

That's it for now.     Big thanks to Wendy for another sugary sweet sew in.....  you're a star!!

I have to get going.   Mac and I have a new routine.   It's called TV time.  Means I go into his workshop and watch TV with him for a couple of hours before I go to bed.   Remember... he's nocturnal.... bit like a Fruit Bat.... only comes into the house to sleep during daylight hours.   The only other thing I can think of that sleeps during the hours of daylight is a vampire.... should I be worried?   Hummm......

Hope you are all having a smooth run in to the great Christmas Festivities and that you are managing to find a little time out to stitch and relax....

See you soon...
Hugs
Josie   xxx

13 comments:

Jeanette said...

A joy as always to read you posts Josie. Love your "tenner" picture. The Stonefields blocks look fabulous. Merry Christmas & have a fabulous New Year. Hugs,xx

Susan said...

Love your applique. The circles are indeed perfect. I have been working on a project with really small circles and the perfect circles didn't work so well for me with those, they were very pesky. How exciting to change your room around, and revamped furniture too. Lovely.

Lynda said...

Josie, your applique is beautiful. Such pretty fabrics and colours. Your painted bed looks lovely and so is your bargain picture. Merry Christmas.

Lynda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
audrey said...

Oh you make me want to make some changes in my bedroom too, esp. with the bed frame! Love that applique.:)

Maria said...

You've certainly been busy, Josie...lovely stitching projects! Your bed looks great with its coat of paint :-)

margaret said...

you are certainly an excellent applique stitcher not a technique I have done before but must try it in the new year as I do love to hand sew

have a lovely Christmas, I am off today for communion as my church is 4 miles away and no buses on Xmas day an extra bonus there will be mince pies after the service

Ondrea said...

A delightful post. Love your "new" bed and framed pic. Your needleturning turned out really well. Awesome stars and awesome circles too. Well done. Big pat on the back for you. Have a wonderful Christmas.

marina said...

such immaculate appliqueing, I have always been in awe of your neat applique.
your room looks lovely and the white bed looks great too.
Maybe you should try wearing a garlic necklace around Mac to check your theory? I think I'd rather the were wolf than the vampire lol

Lynda said...

Oh I do like white paint.....on everything! It always looks so fresh and clean. I wish I enjoyed and was good at hand applique too. Those projects look perfect. Don't we all feel like a square peg in a round hole sometimes!

kiwikid said...

Your Stonefield blocks are wonderful..love the appliqué....good suggestion from Marina! Lol!! She is a cheeky one!! Hope the TV watching is working out ok for you both. Your bedroom, furniture and picture look fantastic. Hoping you have a wonderful Christmas and wishing you all the best for the coming year.
xx

Rebecca in AK said...

I too have gone back to simple needle turn applique after trying several new methods. It just seems to work for me. I love your bed and your bedroom looks so lovely! I can just picture all the fun the kitties had with you sleeping on your mattress! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

Raewyn said...

Lovely makeover in the bedroom - the end result makes sleeping on the floor worth it! We're a bit like you, seldom change anything around! Your applique is lovely - I am getting so I cant be bothered with all the techniques to do needleturn... if there are too many tools there's too much chance of misplacing them!!