Saturday 22 November 2014

Hooray for Friday Night Sew in.....

It got me sewing again!      It might not look like much but you've no idea how happy it made me to pick up an needle again.

Remember this.......


I prepared the leaves for applique back when we were on retreat.... last night I finally stitched them down.   Not only that but I made another block just like it... from scratch....


You wouldn't believe how long it took me to choose the fabrics for this one.    I wanted to make blue leaves but couldn't come up with a fabric combo I liked.   Gave up on the blue and decided to look for yellow fabric instead.  Do you know why I would have stored some blue fabric in a box of yellow?   Not a clue why I put it there but I'm pleased I found it.   Can't say I'm overly happy with the very pale fabric leaf.... looks OK in 'real' life but a bit peely-wally  (that's pale and sickly looking) in the photograph.

So... that's two more Stonefields blocks done and dusted.

And there's more......


I prepared another project for sewing while I watch the Grand Prix on Sunday.  There's some faint
clues on the fabric.... it's the wrong side.   Can you tell what I'm going to be making?

That's if for FNSI.... doesn't look like much but I'm thrilled to bits to be back in the saddle  I'll be popping by all you other FNSI'ers to see what you've been up to tomorrow.... after I've painted my bedroom ceiling!   I'm trying to get a head start on my 'Spring' cleaning!

Now... here's something I made weeks ago too.....


my first attempt at a hand pieced Sweet William block and the first one that won't be making it into the quilt.    The size worked out fine thanks to a 'tip off' from Marina I was ultra careful when I stitched.  Pity I didn't get a tip about making sure there was enough contrast in fabrics!    Where were my glasses when I choose those fabrics!   Not content with one mistake I made another.... I pressed the block and what a pigs breakfast I made of it.   There are seams going every which way on the back.  Every which way but the right way!   Back to the drawing board for me!

Any tips... tricks or brilliant ideas for keeping William sweet will be gratefully received.

Heck I'd better go.   I need plenty of sleep tonight if I'm going to paint that ceiling in the morning.

I'll leave you with the reason I didn't get to post about FNSI last night....



Could you have moved her to type?    Bet you couldn't.    How about that for cute!

OK... I'm off.     See you tomorrow... if I haven't painted myself into a corner....

Hugs
Josie  xxx

20 comments:

Michelle Ridgway said...

Love your blocks! Good luck with Sweet William.

audrey said...

Progress always feels wonderful. Your basket may not have enough contrast in it for Sweet William, but wow, it looks sweet enough for something.:)

Leanne said...

Your blocks look great Josie, its a great feeling isn't it just to get a little bit of sewing done, Happy Painting.

Maria said...

I like your block, goes well with your other one.
Enjoy Sweet William.

Helen said...

Love your blocks Josie, your fabrics choices look great..
Sweet William happens to all of us at some stage :)

Raewyn said...

Awesome to see you back in the saddle, so to speak, Josie.. and it looks like you haven't forgotton how to stitch either! I like your applique blocks and I'm sure your Sweet William will be fine in the mix in the long run, too. Or it would be great as part of the label if you really weren't happy with it. Have fun with the painting :-)

Grethe said...

Nice leaves blocks, choices are the worst thing for me, in many ways, of course including fabrics. Sweet little cat, good luck :-)

marina said...

love your two stonefields blocks and your first basket too. I love the fabrics they look lovely in your photo.
No more tips for William from me, mine are still in their box, waiting till we are speaking again.(or I decide whether I will start over)
glad you got the sizing correct. I haven't been game or had the heart to make another one.
Make sure you will share your tips?

margaret said...

the blocks look good to me and as for that beauty stopping you from blogging he looks irrestible! Rather you than me when it comes to painting a ceiling, or walls for that matter

Jeanette said...

Love your blocks. Good luck with sweet william. Love the gorgeous kitty. Hugs, xx

Sue said...

I've popped over from FNSI. So glad I did! Great blocks. You're right....I couldn't move her either! lol

FloS said...

I'm glad you let her have her quiet nap !!!!
You are always busy with so many projects !!
Have a wonderful week !
Florence

Shirley said...

So glad you picked up your needle because those Stonefields blocks are looking pretty good from where I am sitting. Have Sweet William too but that will be for another time. Shall just watch your progress. It is still more than mine. Good luck with the ceiling.

Lynda said...

The blocks are lovely Josie.

Susan said...

They are really pretty blocks, one of my favourite designs.
And no, I couldn't have moved her to type.

Wendyb said...

Oh Josie...she's gorgeous....that cat has as much character as you......must get it by osmosis huh? LOL
Love your blocks too by the way!
sugary hugs xoxo Wendy :o)

Lynette said...

Hooray for being back in the saddle with your sewing. I actually like that basket, lack of contrast and all. :) It may not be the happiest choice for the quilt, but it'd make a great base for a mini quilt with some applique flowers "in" it.

kiwikid said...

No I couldn't move the cat either! Especially looking so cute!! Love your blocks...they look good to me! Good luck with the painting....not painted into a corner I hope?

Rosie said...

Love the blocks and sometimes it's so hard to capture the real colours in a photo. Thanks for stitching with me.

Farm Gate Creations Incorporating Hummingbird Quilting said...

A very productive night and such beautiful fabrics.