Sunday 29 June 2014

What happened to the last week?

This time last week I was full of myself because I'd  really worked  hard and  finished  Block 3 of 'In My Garden'.   I mean.... can you believe how quickly (for me) I'm stitching this project?    I was so on the ball
I'd even taken the photo's and loaded them onto Blogger all ready to compose a post. 

Don't ask me what happened because I haven't a clue.   But here I am one week later.... telling you old news and feeling miffed with myself.    

So.... here it is......Block 3


Don't believe me when I say I don't like stitching pears..... I loved doing these ones...


Love that bird too.   Think my satin stitch skills are improving... it hasn't got a wonky beak!


So enjoyed stitching this basket.   It's even got Thistles... for Scotland!  Maybe I should have done them purple.....


The finished block..... 


Three blocks = the first row all done and dusted.....


I'm totally smitten with this project.   The applique for Block 4 is prepared and I'm keen to get started.  This quilt calls for hand quilting I think.  There's the sticking point.... I haven't hand quilted before.  There has to be a first time... right!  

Other news......    Chris and Sally came over last Monday.     I don't really know what Sal was doing draping all her Swoon blocks over the frame but as she had Chris's Kona colour chart tucked under her arm I'm guessing she was matching some fabric for binding.    Those blocks are really big!   Did I mention I made a mini Swoon block... no..... remind me to show you.   I think I prefer the smaller block.... 


Chris brought her knitting.   Her very special knitting!


She is now officially.... a Granny in waiting!!   What do Grannies in waiting do.... they knit baby things. Don't you think she looks serene......  


Nope!    She's like a duck on a lake.... serene on the surface... paddling like crazy underneath!    You see she's waiting for the patter of those tiny feet...... all SIX of them!   

Both of Chris's sons and their wives are expecting for the first time.    One set of twins and one singleton due within 6 weeks of each other.   Twins first.....


I think her laugh could be hysteria!  

Now you know I've never had children.   No bothers or sisters, nephews or nieces.  No friends with children either but.... I am hoping to pass muster as a surrogate Granny.   Would you trust me with your child?  Don't answer that!  

Last time I did any baby sitting things got a bit tricky.    The little girl (4) wanted to play nurse.... she had yards of bandage... cute.  Her brother(6) wanted to be a wild west cowboy...   I was up for all of it!    Good job their mum was in the kitchen preparing dinner at the time because half an hour later I was underneath the piano... hog tied to the legs with bandage... a gun at my head and someone trying to take my temperature!  

Think I can kiss goodbye to passing 'responsible adult' test!

OK... that's all folks!     Things are pretty quiet here... for now.   Stitching may have to take a back seat to some real gardening in the next few days.   I still have that huge bale of bark to deal with not to mention weeds that are taking on jungle proportions.  

So... have a great week and I'll see you soon....
Be Good
Hugs
Josie

17 comments:

Rebecca in AK said...

Hi Josie!! Great progress on your 'In My Garden" quilt! I just really love this pattern and you are doing a fabulous job on it! Beautiful applique work! I really love that blue fabric in the sashing, what fabric line is it from? Congratulations to Chris! So fun making baby things! (I hope to have a couple of baskets to show later in the week!)

Jeanette said...

Love your post Josie. Love your "In My Garden". Looks beautiful. How exciting for Chris. I know how she feels. I was made a first time Grandmother December last year. Hugs,xx

Fiona said...

as always some fantastic sewing to see and a great story to go with it...
Hugz

Clare said...

Love your `In my Garden` progress. I have these patterns only but wondering if you have them as a BOM or using fabrics out of your stash. I will have to raid my stash to start mine! Happy stitching.

Chookyblue...... said...

the blocks are gorgeous...........

Wendy said...

You are going great guns with this quilt, the first row looks amazing!! I was thinking, I bet Mac has lots of funny stories about you?! hugs Wendy

Lynda said...

"My Garden Quilt" is going to be amazing. I wish I enjoyed and could do hand stitching. Yours is really well done.

Ada Plouvier-Kopitopoulou said...

The blocks looks lovely! Mybe I should start a garden quilt. Would go look great in my cottage style house! But ... so much work, all this applique!

marina said...

oh my I so love those blocks!!!
and those littel pears are adorable.
I would nominate you for surrogate granny any day, with your wicked sense of humour you would be way too much fun! (and you could teach them how to be naughty)

margaret said...

your In the garden is coming along beautifully, can see why you are enjoying doing this so much. I had a giggle re your antics with the children, I am blessed with on granddaughter who is now 16, unfortunately see little of her as she is too busy with friends to visit granny

Helen said...

Oh I love your blocks , beautiful work ! You will excel at hand quilting and well worth the effort :)

Susan said...

It's a gorgeous quilt and your blocks are coming along beautifully. Every baby needs an eccentric granny somewhere in the wings, maybe you could be it!

Maria said...

Your blocks are coming together beautifully.

Lynda said...

Jodie, your blocks are beautiful and so are the Swoon blocks what fantastic news for your friend. Life is good.

Quilter Kathy said...

How exciting to be expecting all those grandbabies at once!! I would be beside myself!
What a great project you are working on... love it!

Kindred Quilts said...

What happened to last week? I'm still trying to figure out what has happened to the first half of this year!!!
"In the Garden" is just delightful, Josie! You do absolutely beautiful work! It's fun to watch your progress!
Congrats to the new Granny to be... and I think you'd make an awesome adopted Granny! With 3 babies coming so close to one another, your services would be welcomed, I'm sure!

Ondrea said...

That quilt is looking so lovely to date. The appliques and fabric colourways are really yummy. I agree about the hand quilting. May I suggest perle thread?