Sunday 1 June 2014

Party at the Chookshed!

I was there..... in fact I still am!    


Right now I'm feeling like the party guest you find next day crashed out behind your sofa oblivious to the fact that everyone else has gone home.   Just who decided there should be an International Date Line.   Why can't we all live in the same moment.... it would be a whole lot easier.   Especially when it comes to virtual parties on opposite sides of the world.   Hummm.... suppose that would mean half the planet would have to be nocturnal..... perfect for Mac.

OK.... back to the point.     Happy Birthday Chookshed!!    Thank you Chookyblue for inviting us all round to celebrate.   

I got up with the larks on Saturday determined not to miss a minute of the party  (I know... I'm 13 hours or thereabouts behind)  some of you might have already been heading up to bed with your cocoa or be totally blotto on bubbles!      See that lovely morning sun sneaking in the window......


I wasted no time finishing up the last bits of applique for the second block of In My Garden and getting them trimmed to size ready to piece.    Had to do some real maths to work out just how the scrappy border was going to fit.   Didn't have a centimetre of fabric to spare.... phew!


Then it was outdoors for a photo shoot (!)      Snails in the flower bed.......



Bugs in the Astrantia........


And pears...... tree fulls of pears!



At this point in the proceedings I was going great guns...... so tell me.... why did I shoot myself in the foot?

This is how it happened.      As you may or may not know my mum spends most weekends with us.  She knits!      Now... as I've been trying to get her interested in hand stitching for years I seized the opportunity to tell her she couldn't come to the stitching party if she didn't actually stitch!   We had a  long argument over whether or not knitting stitches qualified  however  she finally caved in when I showed her the bag of chocolates that I wouldn't give her unless she picked up a sewing needle.

Can't say she was all that keen though.....


The mutterings of discontent did subside after a while.   However,  she wasn't prepared to admit she might actually be enjoying herself.    I however... have evidence.   I'll let you decide if she was having fun or knot.......


What about me?   What else did I do?


I ate chocolates.... drank tea and gazed longingly at the photograph of the project I was desperate to start work on and couldn't....... because if I took my eyes of mum for a second her running stitch ran away with her... her backstitch went forwards and she hog tied herself with French knots!  

Finally mum went to bed and I could at last crack open some vino to toast the Chookshed and boy did I toast it... a whole bottles worth!  Yummo... as they say in the Antipodes ;o)


I swear I didn't give any vino to Maisie but........


that kitten certainly knows how to party till she drops!

OK.... I'm going now.    I've taken mum back to her own home and there is still a little bit of Sunday left for me to do something nice with.      I'll be back tomorrow to show you what happened to the fruits of my mothers labours and what I get up to tonight...... hummm... that might not be such a good idea!    There will be more vino.... white for tonight then that's me on the waggon.... till I fall off again!  

Have a great whatever day of the week you are reading this on........  

See ya very soon
Hugs
Josie

18 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

this made me laugh xx her face at the beginning was so funny xx I would say she was having fun xx despite the "DRAT" comments xx I joined in yesterday and had a wonderful time xx.. loving your garden .. your snails are a lot friendlier than the ones eating their way through some of my plants !! lol x

Wendy said...

That video of your mum is such a treat, I'm sure she was having fun!! Your garden stitching is gorgeous, you are making great progress :) hugs Wendy

Helen said...

Wow you had a great time I'm sure mum was also having fun. Gorgeous garden blocks !!

Chookyblue...... said...

oh how wonderful you got lots of sewing done...........lol..........your Mum is a crack up.....yes I think she enjoyed it.......glad you enjoyed a drink to celebrate the party......and no we didn't go to bed blotto but we sure did pop a few bottles over the weekend.....

Fiona said...

definitely fun having yuou at the party! and some lovely stitching...
Hugz

Marilyn said...

So lovely having you and your Mum at the party. What a treat to see the little video - she was doing that knot rather well at that stage. Love your little snails and other bugs. Have a great week.

gracie said...

Sounds like your mum is a fun lady. I love what you are working on.

Rebecca in AK said...

Lovely garden quilt blocks in the garden!! I am sure your Mum enjoyed her stitching. Love Maisie's sleeping spot! Very pretty quilt in the photo.

Anonymous said...

lol you are a crackup Josie,love your posts and i loved the video of your mum,i love both your accents,your sewing and your mum's stitching is awesome,well done.xx

debbie said...

Those are the cutest snails I have EVER seen in my whole life!!!! xx debbie

nan said...

I loved reading your blog ... so funny ... and your mother was the star of the show.

Nan

margaret said...

2 proverbs sprang to mind, you are never too old to learn and the reverse you can`t teach a old dog now tricks, see the first is correct, well done Mum and yes i can see you enjoyed it so hope to see more from you soon, maybe even your own blog. Sounds rather rude. Think this is an Anni Downs you are working on, love her designs

Susan said...

Sounds like you girls really threw yourselves into the party, poor Maisie looks exhausted. Your gardening blocks look fabulous in the garden.

kiwikid said...

Oh boy, you guys are so funny!!! Love your Mum sewing!! She is sooo funny...now I fully understand your Tena comment!! Maisie knows a good relaxing spot when she sees one!! Looking forward to seeing your Mums stitchery!

kiwikid said...

OOhhhhh...forgot to say I love the garden bugs!

Janice said...

I do so enjoy visiting your blog and seeing your stitching escapades. It sounds like you and your Mum had a good old chuckle with her stitching. You did well to get your cute snails and bugs finished before enjoying your vino. Looking forward to seeing Mum's finished stitchery.

Anthea said...

Methinks Maisie got into the vino, Josie! That's a great pic of her... great progress with the blocks, and do not under any circumstances start on that pattern you are ogling, not until your current one is done! (not that i adhere to that myself, LOL)

Grethe said...

Nice, Josie , wow how active you have bee. Yes, nice to be part of Chookyblue 's weekend. Must be nice to have your mum around you, bet she loves it. :-)