Sunday 22 June 2014

Fickle Friday Night With Friends!

Honestly.... if you'd been here in the flesh yesterday you'd have been ready to strangle me before the sew in even started and personally... I wouldn't have blamed you.

I started out early in the day with a plan to get going on a quilt for Mac that I've been collecting fabric for . It's a Kaffe Fassett design called Economy Blue.


 You might remember Kitty making it ......


Now... there is a massive (honestly) amount of cutting to do for this quilt.   So many 'lights' and so many 'darks'.  Hang on medium looks dark when put next to a light and light when next to a dark.   Preparing this quilt was going to need a lot of concentration.    Well that was a no go with Mum, Mac and Maisie all wanting someone to play with.    You've got to love them but honestly.....by the time Mac asked me to tie up his tomatoes I was ready to truss up all three of them!  

What I needed was a much easier project so I put Kaffe away and got out a little pattern I've been itching to make for a long time...


the little Zippered Case from Anni Downs 'The Simple Life'.  I already had the stitchery pattern transferred onto Sticky Fabric Solvey so it was good to go.    I pulled out a mini charm pack of Ruby before reading that I needed to cut 1 1/2" squares.  Now.. call me mean... but no way was I going to waste 1" of that lovely fabric.  Back to the drawing board.....

Thought about this.....


Thought again!

Tried sewing more Irish Chain Blocks that haven't seen the light of day for months....


sewed three tiny strips... put the box away.

Do you want to strangle me yet?   Have you ever had a day like this?   Did you cuss a lot?  I did!! :o)

I did finally settle down and find peace with these....


sweet little baskets.  Long time since you've seen these too.    I did manage to tack and glue baste another batch ready for applique...


So.... the evening ended happily and I really did enjoy myself.  If only my jaw wasn't aching so much from grinding my teeth!

Mum joined in too and had really productive day.....


knitting another little blanket for Africa.   This one is really nice.  It's done and she's busy with another one today.

This morning I escaped popped out to post a letter....


picked up a Latte then parked up here to drink it.    The tide was out in the estuary.....


The tiny speck just off centre to the left on that island is actually a lighthouse.  The open water behind is the Solway Firth.... right where it opens into the Irish Sea.


Watched an Oystercatcher going about his business.... noisy blighter.....then went home feeling relaxed and at one with nature.   I love living here.

OK... it's time I went to bed.  Had to wait till the Three M's went to bed before talking to you.  It's after midnight and I'm pie eyed... with fatigue not alcohol I might add.

Hope everyone who joined in had a fantastic time at FNSI      Big Thanks to you Wendy for making it all possible.  Right I'm off before I'm tempted to have a G&T...... sobriety is no fun at all!

See you tomorrow.... be good (or careful) take your pick!
Hugs
Josie

p.s.  If you're wondering what happened to Mac's tomatoes.... I did tie them up!  :o)

23 comments:

marina said...

wow you do have so many lovely projects to choose from .
Why didn't you send your mum and mac off to deal with maisie then you would have peace.
At least you had a beautiful little escape. It wasn't a Steve Mcqueen 'great escape' but a lovely escape all the same.
we have a saying about being good too, if you can't be good, be good at it.

Anonymous said...

wow lots of awesome projects my friend and love your mum's knitting,such a lovely post my friend.xx

Marilyn said...

Hehe. I know that feeling - it was good that you had a happy ending to your dilemma. Love your Mum's knitting too. Sounds like a perfect little escape time.

Melody said...

I have times like this. At least all of your projects are gorgeous. You do live in a beautiful spot.

Rebecca in AK said...

You live in a wonderful place! I loved your photos!! What a great quilt you have planned for Mac. I can see why it would take some serious alone time to arrange the color placements. I love the color your Mum is knitting with!! I have been seeing these baskets around lately and I really, really like them. (This is not good) So glad you did have a productive evening after all!

margaret said...

I think we all have days when we cannot put our minds to deciding what to do, hard too when so many things you want to do, at least you settled in the end and were creative. Such a peaceful scene you found in the norning

debbie said...

Love the colours in Mum's knitting project too. I always have multiple projects on the go so I can do SOMETHING depending on my mood, lighting, attention span, etc. xx debbie

Fiona said...

haha... it's hard whem there are too many things crying out for attention...such gorgeous projects planned.
Hugz

kiwikid said...

Ah yes I have days like that - want to be really productive and just can't settle. I am glad the tomatoes got tied up - could have been a problem if they were neglected!! Lol!!Love your Mum's blanket - boy she is productive! Your little escape looked lovely too, nothing like a ;little time by the water (even if the tide is out) to clam the senses!! (That or a lavender candle!!) You have lots of lovely things to work on when the mood strikes, or when the three M's are otherwise occupied!!
xx

Susan said...

Oh yes I have days like that. Only to settle down with something when my time is up and the family is back! Hate to waste a second of personal sewing time! Nice assortment of projects to fiddle with though. Your garden looked lovely in the previous post.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Oh my! Yes! Definitely have days like that. Very nice spot for a relax and a culpa!

Anthea said...

Isn't it great to love where you live?! Great pics Josie... And great projects too, seems you had an attack of CADD - Craft Attention Deficit Disorder!!

Janet said...

I know what you mean about having trouble settling in sometimes. But at least you got something done. :) And Mum's blanket looks lovely! thanks for showing us your view too. One day I'd like to see that scenery.

Mara said...

That's a lot of different things to work on, have you found the Sticky Fabric Solvey to be nice? Glad that even the tomatoes got tied!

Maria said...

Oh Josie I loved reading your post and could relate to it really well. You have lots of lovely projects there and I am pleased you finally settled on one.
Would love to see the blanket Mum knitted in full. Can you post it
What great views while you drink your latte. I often drive into town do my chores ( sounds like a yank, lol ) buy a cappa and sit at the Oblest to drink it. Just sew relaxing.

Anonymous said...

It must be difficult to choose what to work on when you have so many lovely projects, sometimes I spend so long deciding what to get on with that I loose the time I set aside to do it in.

Yours mum's knitting is lovely too.

Anonymous said...

Those 'just can't settle to anything' days are a bind aren't they? Glad you did eventually find something that ticked the box for you. Your baskets are lovely.

ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

Tania said...

Lots of gorgeous sewing Josie! I agree totally, I wouldn't cut my mini charms down into 1.5" squares either... Love your basket blocks - that basket quilt AND 'Economy Blue' are both on my 'someday' list! And yes, I have days like that too - sometimes a bit too often...

Chookyblue...... said...

looking forward to seeing the blue one come to life............

Wendy said...

You have too many beautiful projects to choose from, no wonder it's hard. You have gorgeous views on the way to the post, looks lovely. Hope you got caught up on some sleep. Oh, and I love your mum's knitting!

Ondrea said...

I think all of us have had creative blocks like yours. Hope your creative juices are flowing again soon.

Janice said...

At least you got something stitched. I half expected that you would put it all away and just have a wine. I'm looking forward to seeing the blue quilt grow. A good thing that you tied up Mac's tomatoes. Now what about him? You didn't say. LOL Lucky you to escape from everything down at the estuary. A beautiful place to gather your thoughts. BTW, your Mum's blanket is lovely. My Mum is of a similar vintage and they sure can knit.

Raewyn said...

Glad you settled down to something in the end. Isn't it great to have a project for every situation and mood?! Your latte spot is lovely - nothing like a bit of R&R.