Tuesday 5 May 2015

Freaking out at FNWF!


Just look at this then tell me you wouldn't have been freaking out.....


Your eyes aren't deceiving you... there really are holes where there should be petals.   Before you get the idea I was trying another new applique technique.... I wasn't.    I didn't cut holes in the fabric for the challenge of sewing petals over them (even I'm not that stupid).   Truthfully... I made a real pigs breakfast earlier when I appliqued the flower petals.     With or without my glasses I could tell they were a mess so where did I get the idea that trimming out the background fabric would miraculously fix the problem.   Did I just  tell you I'm not stupid!

So.... first job on Friday evening was to applique more petals around those holes.   I swear I didn't breathe out till I'd finished.

I had a better time later when I attached this paper pieced star to it's block... very relaxing.  Especially with a nice glass of Californian Red... hic!


Finally I can unveil all of my completed April Blocks.  See that 'fixed' flower (top left) that's the one I'm most proud of.....


Strewth.... just realised my cherries are upside down!

Here are the small blocks.....


Not sure about those little bugs that look like crosses but I'm not tempting fate by unpicking them.  You guessed... I slashed the back on those too.   Scissor happy or what!

Hope you had a less problematical FNWF than I did.     

Thank you Cheryll for hosting another successful sew in.   See you again soon.

I finally got some photos of my last batch of Stonefields blocks.....







I seem to be having a 'brown' phase.  Didn't realise till I put the blocks together.  So much for random!   Still not good photos.... my camera just doesn't seem to like them at all.

That's the end of the sewing news.

On the home front I've taken advantage of every tiny bit of good weather to make progress in the garden.    This year I'm determined to stop the field from invading the flowerbed for good.   Here's the problem......


and here's how I'm dealing with it......


digging out the grass then setting too with a hand axe to remove the rocks (ready for new plants) then laying weed membrane and bark.   6 feet done.... 80 more to go!

The black contraption is Macs method for forcing his rhubarb! The girls and I had some of the first pick last week with ice cream.... scrumptiou.

Tiggy thought laying out the membrane was great fun.....


she decided burrowing underneath then scrunching it up was much more satisfying than laying it flat.

I asked Maisie if she'd like to step in and show Tiggs the ropes but I got short shrift.....

Talk to the paw!

She'll be purring a different tune when the bag of Dreamies comes out.   Funny how her colour changes from day to day.   She never seems to look like the same cat twice.... no wonder we call her Mystical Maisie.

Well... that's about it from me for now.     It's going to rain for the next few days.... perfect opportunity to catch up with my blog reading.   Am I the only one who finds it hard to keep up at times?  

Time for bed I think.....

Have a lovely week ......
Hugs
Josie  xx

18 comments:

Sparky said...

nice blocks...and your sweet felines..purrrrfect photos..x

wish2stitch said...

You have made so much sewing progress. I do like your 'fixed' flower too, very pretty. Good luck with keeping the field out. It is so frustrating that it is a big effort to create a nice lawn, but it grows so freely in the flower beds where you don't want it. Visiting from FNWF.

Yvonne W said...

What an entertaining post. Your sewing looks great . The end result is what counts. Good luck with the garden -- you may need to book in for a massage after each gardening session. We have not had any luck with our rhubarb plant. Every time you think you are about to have a few stalks, they promptly get eaten by the resident possum!

Cath said...

How did I miss FNWF? Oh well! Love your blocks though and totally kitten smitten with you kitty pic!

Lin said...

Well done you for perseverance! I would have thrown that holey fabric. Good luck with the membrane laying. xx

Jeanette said...

Well done Josie. I think I would've thrown the fabric. Love your Stonefields & beautiful furbabies. Hugs, xx

Shirley said...

Josie I find it very hard these days to keep up both with reading blogs and writing them. I always love reading yours though.x

kiwikid said...

I love reading your updates they are so entertaining!! Your finished blocks look wonderful..all of them! Boy do you have some work ahead of you in the garden...that is a long garden bed to be putting weed mat on! Tiggy seems to be hindering rather than helping me thinks!!! Maisie is a beautiful coloured cat and so cat like!!! Love the paw!! I find it hard to keep up with blog reading too...I keep on finding interesting ones!!

Maria said...

Your SAL blocks look great.you were very patient fixing your broken flower block. I would have binned it and started a new one.
The Stonefields blocks are lovely and fabulous photos of the fur babies.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Beautiful blocks! Well done for all the effort in fixing things. I hate that "oh no!" feeling and we have all had them! Good luck with your gardening!

Ondrea said...

Oh dear! You have had a rough time with those blocks. I have a solution. Hide the scissors!!! Despite your angst they all look lovely so do not fret. Hey, another glass of wine and you will be comfortably numb anyway. Love your cats. I still miss my cat. He was a black long hair and sometimes his fur would appear a rusty colour. They say the wet grass changes the black. He had grass in his cat run. Infact, his cat run was the Taj Mahal of cat kingdoms. Cats are not allowed off their property here. So, he was an indoors and cat run feline. Enjoy the rest of your stitching.

Flickenstichlerin said...

Your blocks look great for both projects, the Natures Journey and the Stonefields Quilt.
Greetings,
Sylvia

audrey said...

So glad you were able to fix your block. They look lovely!!

Helen said...

Your blocks look lovely at least you were able to save that block. Love your stonefields, I have been there with using the same colour or fabric for several blocks. :)

Chookyblue...... said...

LOL..........OMG.......lucky to have those blocks happening at all by the sounds of it.....

Susan said...

Great blocks......its those dramatic moments that add to the story of the quilt. Glad you were able to save it!

Anthea said...

Josie if you had not told us about the applique mess-up, we'd never know!
Amazing what we go through to produce a beautiful piece.
Well done

Ondrea said...

Hi Josie. Can't send or receive emails so thought I'd post here. Arrived in Edinburgh today greeted by cold and rain lol. Here until Wednesday at Haymarket. Tour to Loch Ness, Glenvoe and Highlands Tuesday. Seeing the sites around .

hugs
Ondrea