Sunday 22 March 2015

Home Sweet Home.....

First off last Friday evening was FNSI (click to see who joined in and what they got up to) and it couldn't have been a more fabulous sew in.

 I had a great time finishing work on the centre block of  In My Garden.........


It was lovely to finally join together the various sections of the block and stitch down that overlapping blossom.....


 I'm officially more than half way through the project and here's a photo to prove it.....


Yippee!!     Block 5 here I come!  

Kitty arrived Friday lunchtime to stay the weekend so I roped her in to FNSI too.   We got down to business early afternoon.     Kitty worked on the block of the month she started on retreat.....


She appliqued all those penny rug thingies then worked hard on some of the stitcheries.   There's a lot of embroidery on this project.   Think I mentioned I have it sitting in my 'to do' heap.    I did take more photo's but the darn camera just wasn't co operating.... they were awful.   Sorry Kitty... I'll do better next time.

Once I finished my house block I prepared all.... that's right I said ALL.... of the applique ready to stitch Month 2 of Natures Journey.   Spent a good bit of the weekend blanket stitching and sewing some of the applique ..


I'm really happy with progress.    Love that pear!

Maybe I'll stitch this one in the Bat Cave tonight......


Or maybe I'll work on my latest Stonefields block ....


I have a question!   When you applique do you have one favourite method that you stick too regardless or do you mix and match techniques?     For the large star above I'm using back basted needleturn.   The small star I've used Floriani stabiliser and glue basted the edges.  You might think I'm mad but I'll remove the Floriani when I've finished stitching!  The two circles have been prepared using templates... gathering stitches and Best Press.   So... there are three techniques in this one block.

Just wondering if I'm totally crackers or if any of you girls like a bit of variety when you are enjoying an applique session .  

OK.... I finally bucked up the courage to stitch down the last star on the 'hexed' block.....


Success!!   I've never been more relieved in all my born days.

Well... that's it for the sewing for now but before I go Mac insisted I show you his logs!  Honestly he's like a dog with two tails he has so many logs.... split ones now at that!

Here's the regular log store...


Couldn't squeeze any more in there.  So he created an over spill store.....


which is getting a bit to high for my liking.   I've only got short little legs and that heap is about as high as the garage/workshop door.  I'll need ladders to get firewood!

I feel like I'm living in Sawdust City......


Mac has a cunning plan to get rid of the sawdust though.....


He discovered there are Guinea Pigs in Sally's #1 sons family so he's bagged the sawdust for her to take home.  In net bags!!!       Sally doesn't know this yet (unless she's reading this) so she's in for a surprise tomorrow.    Hate to think of all the cussing that will accompany the cleaning out of the car,,,, there'll be sawdust from now till Christmas.     Hang on.... they are coming in Chris's car... oh heck!

Notice more logs above?       I still have to collect more tree parts from around the garden too.  Even Mac hasn't a clue where we are going to store the next lot..... I wouldn't be surprised if he suggests hoarding them under the beds!

Well.... it's time to get something to eat before TV time is upon me once again.   Hope all you girls who joined in FNSI had as great a time as I did.  

Thanks Wendy for hosting...... luv ya for it!  :o)

It might take me a few days but I will be visiting each and every one who took part on Friday so get the kettle on girls.... a bit of cake would be nice too  :o))

See ya soon
Hugs
Josie    


33 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Josie, such beautiful applique work - lovely colours and so precise. Tell Mac that his logs are lovely, too.

Melody said...

Such beautiful stitching. I love your fabric choices.

skrawek tęczy said...

Piękna praca. Podziwiam. Serdecznie pozdrawiam i zapraszam:)

Jeanette said...

All your projects a beautiful. I stick to one method for needle turn applique. Oh dear i do hope Mac doesn't suggest storing the logs under beds it would be a worry. Hugs,xx

Fiona said...

Josie you are doing such beautiful projects...and so much detail in them... just lovely. I tend to stick to the needleturn I am familiar with... I think its the traditional but who knows....turn and stitch???? you look well stocked for any kind of cold weather!
Hugz

barb's creations said...

Love your house block, just divine....well done you for getting so much done! :) Barb.

Deb R said...

Such lovely projects Josie!

Brenda said...

I love the block you finished Josie! Love it! Is there really only 4 blocks on your design wall, you said you were getting ready to start block five, they must all be very large blocks. Wood piles, my hubs would have liked a lot more this winter. He heats his woodshop with a wood burning stove and he ran out of what he cut last fall because we had such a very long cold winter. He had our grandson drag wood out of the woods on a sled behind the snowmobile so he could make it through the rest of the winter.

Lynda said...

Love your applique - just beautiful! Lots of fires to keep you warm with all those logs.

audrey said...

Oh my. The applique work is all just wonderful looking! Mine looks so rustic in comparison.:) And yes, I keep to the same method throughout. I'm a bit of a chicken to try other methods!

Angelikas quilts and knits said...

hi Josie,
your blocks are lovely :-) I prefer needleturn and I never use glue.

happy quilting

Angelika

marina said...

wow you have been a dynamo Josie, love your in my garden progress . It looks amazing!! Kitty's work looks lovely too. You clever things.
Up to date on your natures journey too? You are a superwoman.
I'd go with whatever gets you the result you want and why not mix it up? Oops hope the quilt police don't hear me..

creations.1 said...

Wow you have been busy!! And how I wish my wood was piled like that - so close and handy to the house!!

Flickenstichlerin said...

Wonderful, wonderful projects. I really like your color combinations, applique and stitchery. Looks so delicate.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Helen said...

Beautiful work beautiful stitching beautiful blocks love them. Oh I use different techniques depending on size and shape :)

Käthe said...

Hi Josie,
so wonderful blocks !
I love them all !
Wunderful fabric, pretty sew.
Well done.
Best wishes
Käthe

Anonymous said...

Hi Josie ,wow you have been very busy and love all your work,you are so clever and so is Mac with all his split logs.xx

kiwikid said...

You have been so busy Josie, so hppy to see the hexed block worked perfectly for you...nice for you to have company for FNSI too. Tell Mac congratulations on his wood piles...hope the sawdust got home to the guinea pigs ok...I would be running for the garbage bags to put over the leaking bags!! Lol!! My appliqué is the very basic version...attach with visoflex and sew down either with zigzag or free range quilting...one day I will get brave and try needle turn!!

Ondrea said...

Oh my! You really are zooming along with the quilt. It is looking absolutely beautiful on your design wall. Love your applique. I msinly use fudible webbing and blanket stitch for applique. I have attempted needlturn applique by just using a couple of dots of Roxanne's glue bast on the piece. That's as far as my applique repetoire goes.

Anthea said...

Wow Josie, your progress is amazing, it all looks so fab, well done!
As for those stacks of logs being so tall, it simply means that Mac will have to get the firewood, being that you can't reach them!

Sharm said...

Always lovely to come and visit with you Josie!! Great stitching work done by you girls .... and I can appreciate your photos of Macs logs as my hubbie seems to have to have the wood pile as big as possible also..... he always says if he can get the wood for free, then it should be got incase we can't get any the following year!! Perhaps on my next post I'll try to remember to take a pic of our wood pile just for Mac :)

Chookyblue...... said...

your quilt is coming along well...........are they my blocks for the NJ SAL?
great wood supply.........

Christine M said...

Your quilt is looking wonderful, Josie. Your Nature's Journey is looking good too. Tell Mac his wood heap is very impressive! Noel has been filling our wood shed and the shed is now filled to the brim.

Kunzfrau said...

Der Block mit dem Häuschen sit ja niedlich. Und das wird ein schöner Quilt!

Gruß Marion

Michelle Ridgway said...

In my garden is gorgeous!!! Lovely stitching by Kitty too. We have a small firebox heater which is lovely in winter but storing the wood can be a pain. At least you seem to have a bit of storage. Sweating it out over here at the !moment I can't imagine us with it on Lol!
Michelle x

Unknown said...

Josie,
You quilt is amazing. Can't wait to see what else you are working on.
:)

Karen's Korner said...

You are growing a gorgeous garden. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Shirley said...

All your projects look wonderful and you have been a busy girl. At least it is keeping Mac busy with the logs. You are certainly well stocked.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

Your quilt blocks are lovely! I admire your work and will follow along with your progress.
How great to have a friend join you for FNSI, how lucky you are :)

Rebecca in AK said...

You have really made a lot of progress on your projects! I like your final "hexed" block! Some times it is hard to get things just how we like them. Hurray for Mac and the wood pile!

Paula said...

Josie, all your applique work looks beautiful, I love "In My Garden". It is so special.

wish2stitch said...

Wow Josie, you have been very productive and so many beautiful projects. With applique, I use Perfect Circles if making circles of course with the gathering stitch and pressing. Otherwise I draw the design and just clip a quarter inch seam about one inch ahead of where I am stitching and turn under with my needle. I haven't heard of some of yous techniques...might have to Google them. They sound interesting.

Janet said...

What fun hearing about the woodpile shenanigans! Looks like you have lots of wood for the winter. Nice! In my Garden is coming along nicely and looks fantastic too.