Sunday 17 August 2014

Precious Little Progress.....

but a little progress is better than none at all.... right?    I'm not convinced.

I do have one finish to show you....   ta da!


 I finished the bedroom stool makeover.    It took umpteen coats of paint to cover that horrible orange pine but I'm pleased with the end result.   And very pleased that I had enough bits of Tilda to cobble together enough fabric to re-cover the seat.  Finally.... a finished project from stash.... yippee for me!

Hang on.... I just spotted another finish in this next photo.....


almost forgot I'd finished the re-vamp of the antique junk shop mirror.   I'm very pleased with that too.   The intention is to fix it to the wall above the dado rail... right next to the plug socket but I have to say I do like it just leaning against the wall like that too.   Decisions...decisions.     At least I have somewhere comfy to sit and dry my hair in the mornings.  

This is my bedroom to decorate as I please.   Yes.... Mac and I sleep in separate rooms!    Don't worry we're not estranged we are just not compatible during the hours of darkness.  It's all a matter of heat..... Mac loves it... I hate it.    Right now he's sleeping under two 13.5 tog duvets and a quilted throw ... in summer!     His tog requirement increases in winter too.   I mean... would you sleep with him?    That's a rhetorical question by the way not an invitation.    I on the other hand am known for sleeping in the buff in sub zero temperatures with the windows open and without a blanket, duvet or throw.   Don't try to visualise that... it'll put you off your tea!   Wonder if any of my decedents were Inuit......

There's this too.....

 
the 4th block of In My Garden all done and dusted.   I haven't started on block 5 yet.... maybe tomorrow.
Not a lot of progress considering I've been AWOL for three weeks.  

Right now I'm sorely tempted to start work on either Sweet William or Stonefields.   I know... I'm totally devoid of common sense.... there is no hope.


They are BIG projects and I'm handicapped in that I've never hand pieced before yesterday when I thought I''d better see if I could do it......


I was all fingers and thumbs when I started but by the time I'd finished the block I was in the groove... stitching a little bit faster.    This is how the back looks....


I haven't a clue whether I've done it right or if this is how it should look (I haven't pressed it).  If you hand piece and have any hints or tips I'd be really glad if you'd share.    Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed stitching it together... felt very connected to quilters of past times and very respectful of them too.  How they worked without electric light beats me.

That's all for sewing stuff I'm afraid.    Everything else I've been up to while I've been missing involved getting very dirty and very stiff and sore.     Gardening of course but also helping Mac put a new roof on one of the outbuildings.    It's a good job there is no one close enough to have seen me up on the roof sweeping it at 6:30 in the morning then slathering on tar for all I was worth in an attempt  to beat the rain clouds looming on the horizon.   I did it!!   Sorry there are no photos to prove it... Mac was tucked up under 27 togs sound asleep and Maisie can't work the camera (no opposable thumbs).

Chris, Sally and I did go on our annual pilgrimage to the Quilt Festival in Birmingham.   We had a great three days away.   Mum came to look after Mac.... Mac thought that he was looking after Mum and in truth it was Maisie that was looking after both of them!   She's got more common sense than the other two put together.
Anyway.... I'll tell you more about that in another post.   No photos I'm afraid... I forgot to take the camera! Duh!!

OK... I'd better go and find something to eat.   I'm on a diet (again).   Is it just me or when you diet can you think of anything other than food?   I've joined an online slimming club this time... no escape from the weekly 'weigh in' now I have to log it on the their web site.    Keep your fingers crossed for me.....

I'm off......  see you again soon.   The weather is breaking here so less opportunity to work outdoors... must finish weeding the drive though... rain or shine... have to lay 20 tons of gravel on it before Winter sets in.  At least the exercise should help the weight loss campaign.... unless I build muscles like Schwarzenegger... then I really could join the circus.

Have a great week everybody.....
Stay safe
Hugs
Josie   xxx

 

18 comments:

Raewyn said...

Great to see your post and see what you are up to. I hoped you were enjoying some summertime. Don't we always seem to pick those outside jobs when the weather decides to change! The covered chair is lovely :-) Great to hear you got to Birmingham too, I've been hearing good things about it.

Brenda said...

Love the stool make-over! Love the colors that you used. So pretty. I have way to many projects in the works and always wanting to start on that next on. I am still working on the Farmers Wife quilt for mine and hubs bed. I have been thinking I would like a bedroom of my own. Jeff snores so badly some nights I get back up and sleep in my recliner. Sounds like you have been working really hard.

Rebecca in AK said...

You have definitely been busy! I love your stool, it turned out beautifully. I have had my eye on those two patterns also, but have not ordered them yet. I need to finish some of my other projects, though I did just order Kim McLean's Stars and Sprigs Pattern, that is one I have wanted to make for awhile. I hope you get some help with the gravel!

Shirley said...

I knew you were going to FOQ and kept a look out for you. Should have had it announced on the tannoy. Love the finishes and I have both of Susan's gorgeous projects about to wade in on Stonefields.

Jeanette said...

As always a joy to read your blog posts Josie. Love the stool. Do Stonefields. :). I've got that quilt to make myself. Got talked into it. Lol. Hugs, xx

Fiona said...

I love your makeover stool.... looks lovely and well done for trying out that handpiecing... I have never done it before so I will wait for you to learn and give us tips.... of course a good laugh was had about your sleeping arrangements.... a friend from here went to the Birmingham show... I'm sure you must have seen her????
Hugz

Anonymous said...

Hi Josie ,oh i so love your stool it looks fantastic,i always love seeing what you get up too,love your block as well,enjoy your day my friend.xx

Helen said...

Your stool looks fantastic, as do your blocks , pretty fabrics. Good luck with your difficult decision I am hoping to start Stonefields in the near future :)

margaret said...

what an enjoyable blog you have shared today, had one or two chuckles whilst reading it. Stool looks great, I have a large one granny made, she passed away in 1956 and it desperately needs recovering as it is worn away in places, you have given me ideas. Not pieced blocks by hand only on the machine so sorry no advice to give. I too spent 3 days at the show but had the camera and took over 700 photos, still did not see everything but managed to part with quite a bit of cash! Shame we did not bump into each other, I met up with 6 other bloggers over the 3 days

marina said...

always a hoot Josie! lol
love your new projects I have been eyeing Sweet william for ages but it's such a big project I don't think I will ever take that big step.
Hope you make a start soon.
love your in my garden block, so beautiful!

Noela said...

Love your post. The covered stool looks beautiful. I have lots of pine furniture and want to paint it but not looking forward to it. Hugs.....

Susan said...

Love what you've done with the stool, your decorating looks great. As do your garden blocks (and the blue chair in the background). No comment on your sleeping styles! A good start on your hand piecing. Pressing hand pieced blocks can be a pain. I try to press towards the darker fabric, or press seams the same way so the intersections are flatter (does that make sense?).

Unknown said...

perfect stall makeover!!
and your quilt block looks like it would take forever!
think I would give up after one block and turn it into a pillow cover haha. Kx

Janice said...

Your littles stool looks lovely in your room. You should be proud of your efforts. You always make me laugh with your tales. Good luck with getting the garden finished before winter.

Quilter Kathy said...

You are such a good writer :)
Love the new stool! I need to recover some chairs.
I've never seen Stonefields before... it looks like an awesome project!

Farm Gate Creations Incorporating Hummingbird Quilting said...

Well this post certainly gave me a giggle....I love your stool and your revamped mirror...the blocks that you are working on are just gorgeous too.

KERYN B said...

Beautiful blog Josie always a delight to read. You decorating is coming along beautifully, very bright and happy.

wish2stitch said...

Sorry it has taken me so long to pop over, but I am so glad I did. I really enjoyed ready some of your posts. Love your sense of humour. Your In My Garden blocks are just lovely and I hope you do decide to take on one of those beautiful hand pieced projects. Don't let size of the project dampen your enthusiasm. I am still piecing my first hand pieced project. My Violet quilt is my first hand pieced quilt and it will be 93" square by the time the last two borders are attached. I started it 9 years ago. Call me absolutely mental, but I thought it would be fun to hand quilt it too!! It's ok to laugh at that suggestion. You won't be the first. My philosophy is 'it's the process not the product'. As long as you enjoy it, doesn't matter how long it takes. Hope you join in tonight, it's Friday Night Sew In.