Sunday 20 July 2014

I didn't forget FNSI........

I was there sewing along with you all and feeling very content.   Made some progress albeit not very much but I did have an relaxing evening in good company and that's what counts.

No prizes for guessing what I was working on... you've been seeing a lot of it lately and I've become very attached to it.....


for the umpteenth time on Friday I appliqued my finger to the block.  It gets painful after a while.  Had to take the thread out of the needle to unpick this stitch... it was one of my better ones.    I might have been slow... I might have been inept but I did come very close to finishing the last piece of Block 4.....


I need to trim off fabric on the left side and add a pieced strip before I can applique the berries (big aren't they) onto the remaining branches... they overlap the border.    Maybe tomorrow......

That's all for the evening stitching but I was busy earlier in the day.    I'd just completed a coat of paint on the mirror frame when I got my beady eye on this.....


It didn't look  like this when I brought it downstairs... I've already been working on getting the really boring upholstery fabric off the seat.   Here's stripped back stool waiting it's turn to be painted.....


Handy little things those microwave pudding containers... they're perfect for 'jacking up' the frame while I paint.    I still haven't decided how I want the seat cover to look.    A fancy pieced block design?  Plain and simple patchwork squares?  Single fabric?     Any ideas?    The legs will be painted with Laura Ashley Ivory eggshell.... like the mirror frame.  At least two things will match up!    

I'm a bit challenged in the 'style' department.   I can't decide on the look I want for any room in this house.   One day it's going to be Shabby Chic the next Country.  Perhaps Primative or maybe America Folk Art... I know this is Scotland but I like the style!     The problem is I like everything and as the house is a muddle of everything I guess my current style is eclectic... posh name for a mess eh!    Any tips on styling a room would be gratefully received...... :o)

Before I go.... I meant to show you this photo a while back.   Foxes investigating the field behind the house.   Parent and child out of a sniff about......


and there's more.....


the other parent and two more cubs checking out the boundaries.       Poor Maisie found herself kept indoors for a while.... she wasn't happy but she was safe.    The fox den is at the very end of the secret garden. There's entries into a badger set up there too.  Don't see many badgers out in daylight though.   Anyway... the fox family have moved on and Maisie has her territory to herself again... happy days.

I'd better go now.    Bedtime is getting closer by the minute and I have things to do... I need to do a bit of blog visiting for sure.    I'm running a bit late this sew in.  There is a good reason for that which I can't show you until I figure out how to get photos from my very basic mobile phone onto this laptop.  Rest assured.. in the next day or two.. I'll be visiting you all you lovely girls who kept my company on Friday evening ... so watch out. :o)   See you soon....

Thanks again  Wendy for hosting another lovely sew in.   Roll on the next one.....

OK... hope you are all healthy... happy and ready to tackle the week ahead.  
Have fun
Hugs
Josie   xxxxx

17 comments:

Rebecca in AK said...

Another lovely block for your Garden quilt! I am sorry I can't really give tips on decorating. My husband likes to help in that area, so I have moose antlers and a buffalo skull hanging in the wall. Not to mention the elk hide and the buffalo hide hanging on the walls of out bedroom! Great photos of the fox family. I am glad Maisie's is safe!

Jeanette said...

Love your block Josie. Sorry no decorating tips as my style could be called eclectic too. :) Love the photo;s of the fox family. Hugs,xx

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Looking forward to seeing your stool revived, and loved the photos of the foxes! Have a blessed day,
Jenny

Leanne said...

Your block is looking beautiful Josie. I was excited to see you are using the little bag I made you.

Wow those foxes look wild and savage, are they? We dont get foxes here in Tassie,

Susan said...

It's hard to pick ONE style - maybe a room by room idea . . .I'm not usre my place has nay sort of style at all! your block looks great but - better stop sewing the fingers!

margaret said...

your applique is looking very nice. Like the sound of different styles for each of your rooms and I am sure the stool will look great when done, must be patchwork of some sort I think. I have a fox that used to visit quite a bit but not seen it since they built new houses over the road, think my neighbour giving away the chickens had something to do with it as well they are so bold thee days coming out during the day

marina said...

lovely new block, was the finger meant to be included in the pattern?
Keep safe Miss Maisie and stay away from those naughty foxes

Janice said...

You're very attached to this latest quilt, aren't you. I'm looking forward to seeing how your little seat turns out. I like the idea of a patchwork seat. Have fun with it.

kiwikid said...

Oh sore finger!!! Ouch!! Hope you have given it time to heal by not appliquéing it to anything for a few days!! I am no help with decoration either I am sorry, DH has definite ideas so he does most in this house, I just sneak in something every now and then!! We had foxes here last spring was lovely to see them playing around outside. I know they are a pest but was still good to see them!!

FloS said...

Good job on your Garden quilt !! (and I don't mean the finger thing !!!)
About your style, why don't you call it "a living style" ?
Life is changing so are the things we love….
Hugs
Florence

Kim said...

Lovely stitching. Hope your finger is okay. Look forward to see what you come up with for your stool.

Grethe said...

Hope the best for your stool! Foxes, wow, what a sight, hope you are not afraid,Josie.
Lovely Garden quilt-to-be :-)

Wendy said...

Your block is beautiful, pity about your poor finger though! I look forward to seeing your chair make-over, eclectic sounds a good style to have :) Love the foxes, hugs Wendy

Janet said...

My hubby observed that it looks like you have the stool set up for painting atop a quilt. Surely it can't be so!! Great photos of the foxes. We have lots around here and can hear them "talking" at night but don't see them often.

debbie said...

That sounds painful...hope your recovery was quick! Sometimes I jab the needle under my fingernail when I am basting hexies and I swear a LOT but I am ok with that LOL. xx debbie

Raewyn said...

You aren't the only one with a bit of mixed styling - mine is also ecclectic or maybe just a Raewyn look :-) Good to see you making progress on your applique (why is it that fingers get in the way?!!) Those critters are so bold aren't they - do you see the foxes around often?

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for picking my card as one your winners from the teddies challenge, it is such an honour.
Thank you for all your hard work in making the challenge so successful, it's a shame that the challenge is ending but I can totally understand your reasons and wish you all the best.
Sue xx obat penghilang tatto