Saturday 10 January 2015

Friday Night With Friends.....

Before I begin I'd like to wish you all a 2015 jam packed with happiness and lots of lovely projects to keep your fingers nimble and your heart content.

I almost missed the first FNWF of the year.  Where I got the idea that there wouldn't be one in January I don't know.  Lucky for me I noticed links to the event popping up on the blog and got my name on the list just in the nick of time..... phew!  Thank you for hosting a lovely evening yet again Cheryll .......  your efforts are much appreciated.   

Well.... as it was Friday evening before I discovered there was a FNWF this month I didn't exactly have time to plan a project to sew.    I toyed with the idea of starting work on Poke Berry Baskets  as the threads for the embroidery arrived earlier in the day.    Don't know about you but I like to savour the build up to a new project so I kicked that idea into touch.  You should know by now I don't make snap decisions..... decisions in general are enough trouble.


While I was procrastinating my mum was turbo knitting........


just look at how focused she is on the job in hand.   I bet if the house fell down search and rescue would find her in the rubble still knitting.  More to the point she wouldn't have dropped a stitch!   She finished that little blanket for Africa and started on another.   There isn't a day goes by without me wondering if I was adopted!

This photo is to keep Mimi happy.....

About time I got on this blog thingy!

She's a little sweetheart.... guarding mum and her knitting like that though I suspect her intentions with regard to the ball of wool behind her weren't all good.

I didn't waste my whole evening.   I did sew......


Finished the last little bit of this block..... had fun with the flowers.    Not so much fun with this block though.....


what a disaster!!   What was I thinking.    The petals just merge into the background fabric.   Why didn't I see that before I stitched all but one of them.   Reckon Mac is not the only one who's delusional around here.    Can't live with it.... starting again.

I did trace the pattern onto another fabric and was attempting to choose petal fabric when I realised I was late for TV time in Macs bat cave..... literally... his bat cave.....


OK... it's not a real bat .... it's a bit moth eaten and it doesn't do much but hang around but Mac likes the company so who am I too argue.    I do think it's a bit much that he named it Joyce.... after my mother!

It wasn't the end of my sewing though..... I worked on a re do of another block while we watched NCIS.   Bet Jethro Gibbs doesn't have a bat in his cave.....


took this photo while the morning sun streamed through the window.... right before it snowed!
Didn't like those green stars I showed you in the last post.... they've gone to the scrap bag too.  Bet I end up making every block in this quilt at least twice.  

Last bit of news...... the girls and I are going back to the cottage next Saturday for a whole week of machine stitching mayhem.      Hope my poor old aching back can cope with all the fabric cutting I need to do before we go.   Don't want a repeat of last time.   Wonder if I can quilt a corset in time for the off......

Have a great week all of you.   I'll be spending my down time blog hopping this week.  It's about time I checked what you're all up too.....

Hugs
Josie    xxx


33 comments:

Jeanette said...

Happy New Year Josie. Great post. Love to read what you've been doing. Hugs,xx

gracie said...

Happy New Year to oyou...love the pictures!

Noela said...

Happy New Year. Did miss FNWF as I haven't been checking out blogs lately. Hubby back to work tomorrow so there is hope that I will catch up on some of them then. Enjoyed your post. If you are not happy with a block, it's best to change it while it is in the make stage than when it's in the middle of the quilt. Hugs....

Maddy said...

So glad l dropped by, had fun reading your blog. Love what you managed to do. Will your mum be staring in future posts.

Lynda said...

Looks like you have been very busy. I really don't enjoy redoing a block or just throwing it into the "may never use bin". Bet I could make a whole quilt with blocks I don't know what to do with!

Raewyn said...

I do love your blocks - you are very patient re-doing so many blocks - I would just leave then as is!! (And then regret that later, I guess!) Great to see your Mum Turbo-knitting - churning out blankets for Africa. PS Love the Poke-Berries pattern too!

Cheryll said...

I loved having the company of both you & your mother at FNwF. Thanks for playing along with us. :)

Yvonne W said...

Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year.
You did manage to get quite a bit of sewing done after all. I love those threads-- they are utterly divine!!! Are the Valdani threads?
Looking forward to catching up with future FnwFs.

Bev C said...

Hell Josie,

Happy New Year.

Love the new project you are going to work on. Now that bat is another thing indeed.
Yo
Bevur Mum looks so at home with her knitting.

Happy days.
Bev.

Susan said...

It's a pain, but so much better to re do the blocks now than regret it later. Sound like it was a productive night anyway.

barb's creations said...

Sounds like you had a lovely evening, not too sure I'd be that comfortable with the bat hanging around but what a hoot that Mac's named it after your mum lol :) Barb.

Maria said...

Happy New Year to you and yours Josie...

Loved reading your post and meeting Mum.

marina said...

happy new year Josie!!
lovely little blocks, shame about the redoing, but you have to be happy with it.
Maybe you could see if knitting is an olympic event then she could knit for the UK.
lovely pic of mimi and Mac's bat.
Does he have a butler named Alfred that hangs around a bit?
Hope you get to go to your weekend next week and that you have a fantastic time!!

Sherry said...

Congratulations on your win!

Anthea said...

Happy New Year Josie! Looks like more beautiful projects are going to be in your hands this year! Good on your Mum for being so focussed... she looks so cute!

Anonymous said...

Happy New year to you too! I think your blocks look great - event the one you don't like!

ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

Rosie said...

Great blocks and looks like your mum is knitting up a storm.

Rebecca in AK said...

Okay, I don't know if I will be able to keep reading your blog!! lol I just ordered the Poke Berry Basket quilt pattern! Did you order a set of threads or pick out the colors individually? Sounds like Mac truly has a bat cave. So glad your Mom can continue to knit, my Mom was a great knitter until her eyesight got too bad. Happy New Year to all!

kiwikid said...

I don't know about your blog being therapy for you Josie....I think it is more therapy for me!!! I always get a laugh reading your posts...you Mum looks so focused...sure is a power knitter!!!!You are brave venturing in to the cave with that bat sitting there...good luck with the blocks, I hope you are happy with the new colours. I hope you have a wonderful time at the cottage...pace that cutting ok!!

Helen said...

Oh love your Flower block and the stars block :)

Ondrea said...

I love the Poke Berry Baskets pattern and would like to see your progress. Eek, what's with the bat? Your mum looks rather focused as she click clacks away. Love your cat . All quilt blogs have cuts appear every so often. I see what you mean about that swirl block. Love your stars. Good you had FNWF to stitch .

Anita said...

Hi Josie,
The great thing about us craft addicts is that we always have something on the go anyway, so when FNwF's comes along, you can usually rustle up something to show. Lol....turbo needles? Is that the same as knitting so fast you've got smoke coming off your needles? I get that. lol. I say 'Go girl' to your Mum. Cheers, Anita.

Outback Craftaholic said...

Congratulations on winning the FNWF prize Josie. Looks like you had a very busy evening regardless of the late start. Cheers, Tracy.

Lin said...

Had to zoom in on those threads fir the Poke Berry baskets - they are just so scrummy!What a shame about the flower block - you could give it a dark outline and there are as one really delicious, looking things in the background of your stars photograph. Happy New Year to you too. xx

Wendy said...

Your blocks are lovely, those circles look perfect! Your mum is amazing and Mimi is a beautiful puss! Happy New year! xx

Susie said...

I like to savour the beginning of a project too. I would also just outline that block more with the petals - will you hand quilt it? I'm sure one of those threads would work beautifully.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Happy new year Josie. Another fun post and lots of lovely stitching. Enjoy your time away x

Radka said...

Hi Josie, I have really enjoyed reading your post. I have found a new blog to follow :-)
xx

audrey said...

I've been watching some NCIS lately too, although not in a bat cave! Wonderful to see what you're up to. Hope I can be as ambitious with my hobby as your mom is with hers--at that age particularly.:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Josie sorry somehow i had missed this post.Well done on all your beautiful work and great to see that your mum kept you company,i always love seeing what you are up to my friend,take care.xx

Christine said...

Lovely work on your blocks, you must be as focused as your mum...just smaller needles!

wish2stitch said...

I have been checking out your needle turn applique. It looks great.You've got some lovely quilts on the go. Hope you enjoyed you weekend of mayhem.

Katherine said...

SOme beautiful sttiching and blocks.