Wednesday 3 October 2012

Scotlands Next Top Model?

If the Judge is a blind man on a galloping horse....I'm in with a shout!
 
 
Chris thinks I suit the robe of Maid of the Mist.... but then she's the nut job that carried it all the way back from Niagara Falls just to get a laugh when I put it on.  Logo or not....who gifts a friend a giant wearable plastic bag for goodness sakes.  It came with it's own supply of Niagara water too.  That dripped on the hearth rug during the 'photo shoot'.   Nice one Chris!!   I'll get you back.
 
I've been seeing stars this week......
 

shiny sliver foiled ones that sparkle too much to be clear in a photo.  Just as well because they're part of a secret project I'm working on.    I have to thank Tilly (who stayed with me all last week) for showing how to foil on fabric and keeping a close eye on me while I did it. 

Here's another sneak peek.......

 
I'm really having fun with these projects..... problem is I love them so much I might not want to part with them.  Shame on me! 
 
Heavens.... this post is getting really BLUE!    Better have a colour change.....
 
 
These Dresden 'petals' are paper pieced then appliqued onto the background.  You can see from the needle in situ I'm not quite done with the applique.  Here's the progress so far...
 
 
I think this pattern is just gorgeous.    I was surfing for wall hanging patterns when I found a photograph of this design on Pinterest.   It was love at first sight.   I followed the link back to the Curio Flower Mini Quilt Tutorial from  Erin Russek at One Piece At A Time.    The fabric for her mini quilt is Moda Curio (who'd have thought) and it's absolutely gorgeous.
 
There is one thing I'm not happy about with my version and that is the two squares on the top right and bottom left.   They blend into one colour from a distance.   See what happens when I try to do 'random'... it just never works out.   It's no good.... I can feel a bout of unpicking coming on.
 
Tilly suggested we have a 'painting' day last week too.   My brushes haven't been used for a whole year.  There was some layer of dust on them I can tell you.......
 
 
Just a tiny glimpse of what I painted...... you never know who is looking ;o)
 
I succumbed to the temptation of this pattern last week too......
 
 
it was brilliant to buy it as a download.   True instant gratification!    I wish more designers would go down the e.pattern route.   Just in case you've been living at the bottom of a black hole these last few weeks and have never seen this pattern before you can buy it here and be cutting out hexies by bedtime.   You wouldn't believe but I just went to find a link to the pattern and found another .. this one... resistance is futile! I haven't decided on the fabrics to use yet but that Japanese style strip roll is in the running.
 
Before I go Bagpuss told me to tell you he is doing fine.   His bald patch is a little troublesome when he sits down on anything cold but apart from that he's tickety boo.
 
OK.... I'm off to press a button on that pattern.
 
Hope you are all in great fettle and enjoying your week
 
Till next time
Hugs
Josie aka Maid of the Mist 

16 comments:

Shirley said...

Dear Maid of the Mist, now you have gone and done it. I am going to have to have that pattern to add to the hexie bag patterns. Oh well! Your blogs are such fun! (I'll let Miranda borrow that line for her show).

Anonymous said...

lovely fun post.xx

Susan said...

I was loving your post until it came to THAT bag. I am in the process of resisting it at the moment, but as you say, resistance is futile...... I do like your Dresden block, but no comment on the poncho.

marina said...

I think you should go with the plastic bag look, you wear it well! Love that blue sneaky peak and your dresden flowers is gorgeous. Good to see you will join the ranks of the hexagon bag ladies. I so wish I hadn't clicked on that link for the diamond one, I love it but luckily I don't have an ipad so I am less tempted. (yeah as if lol)
poor bagpuss you might have to get him a toupe?

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

"Must not click the link, must not click the link, must not click the link" aghhh who am I kidding, I'm off to click the link (and it is all your fault!) lol

Janet said...

I love Erin's mini quilt. It's been on my to do list since she posted it. If you don't already follow Erin, she usually does an applique block of the month quilt each year. You should check it out :)

Raewyn said...

Inspiring post Josie!! Love it all. Hitting those send buttons can be dangerous but so much fun!! Love the photo of you in your new outfit!!

Tilly Talksalot said...

You look beautiful!!!!! All that needs is a little nip and tuck here and there....and I mean the poncho not you! Lol :-0 Love and Hugs Tilly

Lynda said...

I love the wallhanging you're working on and it is beautiful in those Fig Tree fabrics. Definitely looking forward to seeing your hexie bag. When I was emailing Brigitte about the hexie bag pattern updates she mentioned the iPad purse pattern would be on sale soon - very tempting. Love your Maid of the Mist photo.

Wendy said...

You would get my vote (Scotland's next top model)! I always love reading your posts. Love your new wallhanging too, in fact, you have been very busy and creative!! Hugs, Wendy

Debi Spencer said...

Are you at Fobbles next week, if so looking forward to seeing you again. xxxx

Browndirtcottage said...

You have a lovely blog Josie! Seems you have a lot of different crafty interests like me. I have soooo many things I like to do. My paint brushes are a lot dustier
than yours! Ha!

Thanks for stopping by my place!!

Grethe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grethe said...

Lovely Made of the Mist outfit! Love your Dredsen Plate Flower:-)

Linda in Calif. said...

Maid of the Mist, your Dresden Plate Flower is so cute/pretty. I see what you mean about the fabrics blending - but I personally saw the two different fabrics easily and don't think you need to change them. That diamond hexie bag is too charming - there no use resisting! And I'm following you now.

Marie said...

So great to see the Maid of the Mist poncho! My husband grew up in Niagara Falls so we are there often for getaways and there's lots of 'bluebloods' in the crowd enjoying this magnificent natural wonder. Good for you for modelling it!